Day 21 – Horizontal stabilizer ribs

Today I prepared the ribs for the horizontal stabilizer spar. It was my first time using fluting pliers. I took the advise of Paul Dye and did them while watching TV!

I also took some time to practice making precise holes with my drill press. I tried with and without a punch, and with and without a pilot. In the end, the best bet was to use a centre bit to make a pilot. I also found that my “single sided” clamp-down for the vise was not great. It tended to lift the vise up on a bit of an angle. Pictured here are the results from a few techniques as I dialled it in. I think I got it now! When the new aluminum angle stock comes in, I can try making a spar attachment bracket again!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.